Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne

I've already posted a Winnie-the-Pooh love post but I'm going to do it again so I may express my admiration for the true author of the Pooh bear (no, it's not Walt Disney).

Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne


As you can see in the picture above, I have multiple copies of this beloved character.  Why?  Well, have you read the stories?  If you've only seen the Disney versions of these tales, you are sorely missing out.  Yes, the Disney versions are based on these stories.  I remember watching the Pooh story when he gets stuck in Rabbit's tree cause he's too fat.  But then I actually read the original story and it just seemed more true, much softer....more raw.  I don't know what it is, but I love the little naked bear compared to the bear with the red shirt.

Only 4 books were written about Pooh.  Two are actual novels and the other two are poem compilation books that include some poems about the characters.

When We Were Very Young - published in 1924
Winnie-the-Pooh - published in 1926
Now We Are Six - published in 1927
The House at Pooh Corner - published in 1928

As you can see, the original Winnie-The-Pooh book was not the first appearance, even though it's the first novel about the bear and his friends.  When you read the book, you will see a poem in there called "Teddy Bear".  This is about Christopher Robin's stuffed bear, which will eventually become Winnie-the-Pooh in further stories.


So let me go through each of these books that I have.  The one pictured above is the FULL complete set....the one I highly recommend getting cause it will be the cheapest out of all of them.  They include the two novels plus the two poem books.  I currently have two copies.  The first I purchased on Thriftbooks and the other I found with a dust jacket at a thrift store for $4.00.  Thriftbooks is only about $1.00 more expensive (plus .99 cent shipping if you don't order more than $10) and I've only seen the book once in the last 3 years in a thrift store.  You can click here to purchase from Thriftbooks if you'd rather not wait that long to find a copy:
The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh
by:
A. A. Milne
$4.84
or if you are a person who is strictly Amazon, you will be paying around $8 plus shipping for a used copy, but you can purchase here to do that:
                                                                    



There are also these two beauties as well.  These are smaller so they are much easier to handle and are very classy looking on a bookshelf.  I only have the two novels because I found these two at a thrift store for $2.00 each.  I had to bring them home because they were in new condition.  No tears, no scuffs, no writing, and not a single page had been bent.  I really don't think the owners before had even read the books.  I was thrilled to adopt them.  If you'd rather have these books for easier handling and for eye candy ;-)......  you have to purchase each one separately on Thriftbooks
Winnie-the-Pooh
by:
Milne, A. A.
$3.59
The House at Pooh Corner
by:
A. A. Milne
$3.59

or you can purchase the complete set of all four books on Amazon by clicking here:
                                                                   

I just had to show this copy I got at a thrift store.  While it's not even a whole novel, it has three of the stories from one of the books.  I mainly got it because it was the first Scholastic printing from 1966.  And that was still 40 years after the book was published.  And how I wish brand new paperbacks from scholastic were still only .50 cents.


The main reason I have this last copy of a Winnie the Pooh story is because of this:

It has a two full pages of stickers of the original drawings.  All unused and all reusable to place in the book.  And guess what??????



They've been unused since 1986.  Found this gem at the thrift store for 50 cents.

Winnie the Pooh and Milne facts:

1. Winnie the Pooh was named after a real bear that Christopher Milne (A.A.'s son) enjoyed watching.  The bear's name was Winnipeg, or Winnie for short.
2. Christopher Robin was based on Milne's son, Christopher, but Christopher disliked his image in the book; saying that is was wrong of his father to use him to make novels..... (crap, if my father made a novel based on me, I'd take that as a loving gesture!!)
3. Disney now owns the rights to the Winnie franchise and has since the early 60s.  They are the ones who stuck a red shirt on Pooh
4. The quote "If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you" is actually misquoted.  Here is the real quote: 

"Pooh, promise you won’t forget about me, ever. Not even when I’m a hundred.”
Pooh thought for a little. “How old shall I be then?” 
“Ninety-nine.”
Pooh nodded.
“I promise,” he said.”
Sorry, to bust your bubble on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment