Thursday, August 13, 2015

Gus Goes to School (aka Gus Was a Real Dumb Ghost) by Jane Thayer

If you go to a thrift store often to find a book, more than likely you've come across this next book.  It was very popular back in the 80s and 90s.  I know that I owned this classic (with the newer title, not with the original) and I can remember reading it many times.

So let's get on with this classic and I'm pretty sure it's going to bring back many memories from your childhood.  I mean, really, who didn't read this book?

Gus Goes to School (Original title: Gus Was a Real Dumb Ghost) by Jane Thayer   (1982)

Gus Goes to School was part of the Weekly Reader Children's Book Club

All three of the above books are the same.  The Gus Was a Real Dumb Ghost was the original title but I'm sure was changed to not be so offensive to others or maybe to not say the word "dumb" in a child's book title.  Right now, I have the hardcover of the Gus Goes to School, which by the way was given to my son by his grandmother since she kept it from my husband's childhood days.

I also have the paperback copy and the hardcover copy of the original title.

  So what's this book about?  Well, Gus goes to school......  okay, more info?  Gus spends all of his time haunting an old house, turned museum.  When he writes his autobiography and sends it into a publisher, he is embarrassed when it's returned to him with with all the mistakes pointed out to him.  He makes the brave decision to go to school to learn more.
 Another great classic that has a good moral to it.  You go to school to LEARN.  Otherwise, you spell things wrong and you are embarrassed.  But Gus realizes that going to school isn't an easy task.  It takes focus, attention and patience to learn.  Something every kid goes through and I really feel they can relate to this book.
(the above picture is the copyright for my hardcover book of the original title.  It has the full printing line but does not say First Edition.  I'm hoping someone will tell me if this is the First Edition or not)

During my child reading days, I had no idea that this book belonged to a series.  The Gus the Ghost Series.

In fact, there are 8 books, and this book was printed 20 years after the first one.  I started with this story since it's the most popular and many individuals will recognize it.  I do have a few of the others, but I'm patiently waiting to receive the ones I don't have.

Also, Jane Thayer is a pen name.  Her real name was Catherin Woolley and sadly passed away in 2005.  She left behind a great legacy that I'm sure children will love for many decades to come.

WHERE TO BUY:

Definitely add this book to your collection.  It's a sentimental book for many and the story will have a lasting effect for your child especially if they have a hard time focusing at school.

Thriftbooks.com - $3.59 plus .99 cents for shipping.  If you purchase $10 or more, you receive free shipping PLUS their new rewards program is great.  For every $50 you spend on your account, you will get a $5 code

Amazon.com - $.01 plus $3.99 shipping USED.  This is the cheapest if you plan to buy this book alone.  If you want to purchase the book with the original title, it will cost you more but it is available on their website.

Click below to purchase
Gus Was A Real Dumb Ghost
by:
Jane Thayer
$3.59

                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment