Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Does Harold Even Make It Home?

If you look at most of the lists of greatest children's books of all time, you are likely to find this little charm:

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson published in 1955 by Harper & Brothers (now known as HarperCollins


Here's a quick summary of this title:  Harold decides to go for a walk with his crayon, but since there's no moon, he decided to draw one and as he keeps going on his walk he draws trees, nature, buildings, etc.....  but now he needs to find his way home.

To be honest, I've owned two of these books.  One was paperback and this one is a newer hardcover with  a dust jacket.  I found them both at Deseret Industries for .50 cents each but after finding the hardcover, I gave the paperback back to DI.  I prefer hardcovers.  There is just something about them that feels more real. I do this every now and then when I have a paperback at home but find a nice sturdy hardcover for really cheap.



So is this book as good as the hype?  I'm not really sure.  I've read it by myself once and read it to my son once, too.  I didn't find it as amusing as other classics.  Don't get me wrong, it is original, the story is decent and I love the fact that the child is using his imagination.  But I just have to say that I'm not a big fan.  It's just a nice addition to add to my son's classic story collection.

I'm also still trying to figure out if Harold actually does make it home or if he's in limbo....?  Someone?

This book you can probably find at your local thrift store but don't think you'll find it as easily as, say the Berenstain Bear books.  I think I've only seen three copies in my entire "hunting" career.

Value:  If you can find a very early printing or even first edition of this book, I say you are completely lucky.  It's most definitely not something you can just get off a shelf somewhere.  This book would be worth around $3000 or so for a first printing.

Don't be fooled when you see someone selling a first edition.  I've seen some ebayers trying to sell this book as a first edition for thousands of dollars.  But if you look at the pictures, it's not a true first edition.
So how do you know?  Well, in 1955, HarperCollins was known as Harper & Brothers.  So the book should state the right name of the publisher, not Harper & Row like some sellers are putting out there.

As you can see, I'm nowhere near having a first edition.  My book is the 39th printing and it was printed in 2011.  The number line you see where it says 11 12 13, this tells you what year it was published, so the smallest number is the year.  The initials SCP tells you that it was outsourced to a different publisher.

Where to buy?  Thriftbooks will be your cheapest bet whether you buy it paperback or hardcover.  They have the book for as low as $3.39 plus free shipping.  Amazon, you will pay at least $4.  

Little fun fact:  Did you know that Harold makes an appearance in the Simpson's couch gag?  He draws the couch for the family and a beer for Homer.


No comments:

Post a Comment